rnn banner

Wike Orders Demolition of Buildings Blocking Abuja Waterways After Flooding

FCT Minister Nyesom Wike has ordered the immediate demolition of structures built on water channels and those obstructing drainage systems in Abuja, with the exercise expected to continue through Saturday, August 22, 2026.

Wike gave the directive on Tuesday, August 18, after inspecting flood-affected areas in Maitama following heavy weekend rainfall.

Wike Orders Immediate Demolitions

During the inspection, the minister examined a designated drainage channel where a structure had been built on a plot whose allocation was revoked in 2011 due to what authorities described as overriding public interest.

A sign at the location indicated that the area was a drainage channel and should remain clear.

Wike said the FCT Administration had identified some of the factors contributing to flooding and would begin removing structures obstructing waterways.

“Between today and Saturday, the buildings blocking the waterways will be brought down. We will demolish all the houses found on the water channels, and heaven will not fall,” he said.

Minister Denies Allocating Waterways

Wike also denied allegations that the FCT Administration had allocated waterways for construction.

He said enforcement would continue regardless of the identities or influence of property owners who had encroached on drainage channels. Some reports said properties belonging to senators and other influential individuals were among those potentially affected.

The minister’s directive comes amid renewed concerns over flooding in Maitama, Wuse and other parts of Abuja following heavy rainfall over the weekend.

Flooding Triggers Renewed Debate

Several roads and properties were submerged during the rainfall, prompting debate over the causes of flooding in the nation’s capital.

Residents and critics have blamed blocked drainage systems, construction on waterways and floodplains, loss of green areas and inadequate drainage maintenance. Wike’s aides, however, have argued that flooding in Abuja predates the minister’s tenure and cited rapid urban expansion, damaged drainage infrastructure and the removal of drainage covers by scavengers among other factors.

Demolition operations reportedly began in parts of Maitama shortly after Wike’s announcement as officials moved to clear structures obstructing drainage channels.

The exercise forms part of the FCT Administration’s wider enforcement of the Abuja Master Plan and efforts to reduce flood risks as the rainy season continues.