Anti-migrant protesters gathered outside the Cape Town Regional Court on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, demanding that Nigerian-South African beauty queen Chidimma Adetshina leave the country as legal proceedings over her immigration status continue.
The protesters chanted “It’s time to go” and displayed placards accusing undocumented migrants of burdening South Africa’s economy.
Protesters Display Placards
A video shared by TheCable on Thursday showed demonstrators from groups including March and March, with links to Operation Dudula, gathered outside the court.
Some placards read “IT’S TIME TO GO!” and “Illegal immigrants are a burden on our economy.” Others called for stronger action against illegal immigration and alleged corruption.
Some protesters also displayed placards carrying Adetshina’s image.
The demonstration took place as Adetshina appeared in court over an application by South Africa’s Department of Home Affairs seeking to detain her for deportation.
Court Delays Deportation Matter
The magistrate postponed the deportation-related matter until February 2027, pending the outcome of a separate Western Cape High Court review concerning Adetshina’s citizenship status.
She remains free while the legal proceedings continue.
Adetshina was born in Soweto, South Africa, to a Nigerian father and a mother with Mozambican roots. She became a finalist in the 2024 Miss South Africa pageant but withdrew after intense public controversy over her nationality.
South African authorities later revoked her identity documents, alleging that her mother had used a stolen identity to register her birth.
Adetshina Says She Was Targeted
After losing her South African documents, Adetshina represented Nigeria at international beauty competitions. She won Miss Universe Nigeria and later finished as first runner-up at Miss Universe.
She was arrested in Cape Town in June 2026 and released on warning after authorities accused her of residing in South Africa without lawful status. She had previously been declared a prohibited person.
Speaking outside court on August 19, Adetshina said she was born in South Africa and had followed legal channels to establish her status.
She said she believed she had been “treated unfairly and targeted” and that an attempt had been made to use her as an example. She also urged against allowing xenophobia and misinformation to influence how people are treated.
Tensions Outside Court
Tensions reportedly increased after the hearing as protesters pursued and shouted at Adetshina and members of her family as they left the courthouse.
She required protection while leaving the area, while Operation Dudula representatives criticised the postponement and renewed their demand for her deportation.
The case has continued to draw attention to South Africa’s immigration and citizenship policies, as well as concerns over xenophobia and the treatment of people with contested legal status.
Adetshina’s citizenship challenge remains before the courts, with the outcome expected to determine the next stage of the deportation proceedings.
