rnn banner

Edo Governor’s Aide Apologises to Davido After Threatening to Ban Him

Apostle Kassy Chukwu, Senior Special Assistant on Digital Media to Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo, has apologised to Davido and retracted his earlier threat to ban the singer from performing in Edo State.

Aide Retracts Threat

Chukwu made the apology in a video circulating on Saturday, August 22, 2026, saying his earlier remarks were made in a personal capacity and were not authorised by Governor Okpebholo or the Edo State Government.

He said he reacted as “a son of the governor who was offended” by comments attributed to Davido about the governor’s children being ashamed of their father.

Chukwu also apologised to Okpebholo for any embarrassment caused by his comments, describing the governor as a “peace-loving governor” who does not tolerate violence, threats or oppression.

Davido Gets Direct Apology

Addressing Davido, Chukwu said, “I apologise to every good-meaning Edo person and to my brother, Davido. I love you. Please disregard my earlier comment.”

He added that Davido remained welcome in Edo State, saying, “Edo loves you and, of course, you are welcome home anytime, any day, in Edo State.”

Chukwu also highlighted the governor’s record in areas including infrastructure, security, education and efforts to revive nightlife in the state.

How the Dispute Started

The controversy began after political exchanges linked to the August 15 Osun State governorship election, which was won by Davido’s uncle, Governor Ademola Adeleke.

Okpebholo had criticised Adeleke during the election period, including comments about the Osun governor’s dancing. Davido later shared what appeared to be Okpebholo’s WAEC result on Instagram and defended the post when criticised.

Chukwu’s original video, which circulated widely around August 20 and 21, contained a declaration that Davido had been banned from performing in Edo for the remainder of Okpebholo’s tenure.

He was also quoted as threatening the singer, saying, “If we catch you… we’ll tell the boys to remove your teeth with slaps.”

Edo Government Distances Itself

The Edo State Government had already rejected the purported ban before Chukwu’s apology.

State Information Commissioner Kassim Afegbua said the government did not ban Davido from entering or performing in Edo State. He described the person behind the announcement as “an enemy of Edo State; an impostor, and a fraud.”

Afegbua maintained that Edo remained open to everyone regardless of political affiliation.

Chukwu’s latest apology has generated mixed reactions online, with some questioning how a serving government aide could make such statements and later describe them as personal. Others noted that the government had already distanced itself from the original remarks.

As of August 23, 2026, Davido has not publicly responded to Chukwu’s apology, while there has been no reported announcement of disciplinary action against the governor’s aide.